Plumbing and Drainage

Note: If you are supervising or performing regulated plumbing and drainage work, you must hold an occupational plumbers and drainers licence under the Plumbing and Drainage Act 2018.

Scope of work

  • Installing, commissioning, maintaining and testing plumbing and drainage services in all classes of buildings and premises, including but not limited to, the following:
    • compressed air, heating, steam, vacuum or ventilation systems
    • irrigation
    • metal fascias and gutters
    • on-site domestic waste water management systems
    • roof and wall cladding
    • skylights
    • fire hydrants, with or without pumps
    • fire hose reels, with or without pumps
  • Installation of fire collars that is incidental to work mentioned above.
  • Prepare plans and specifications for plumbing and drainage work that are:
    • for the licensee's personal use, or
    • for use in plumbing and drainage work to be performed by the licensee personally
  • Incidental work of another class.

Qualifications required

Please see Technical Qualifications for Licensing (PDF).

Managerial course

Completion of the approved managerial course.

Note: Completion of the course Establish legal and risk management requirements of new business ventures BSBESB402, which is one of the required courses in the Certificate IV Plumbing and Services, will meet this requirement.

The prescribed course - Establish legal and risk management requirements of small business BSBSMB401 has a teach out period. We will still accept this course during this teach out period and a short time afterwards.

Financial requirements

The relevant financial requirements in the minimum financial requirements policy.

Licence types

You can apply for this licence class as a:

Important note:

  • Interstate Applicants – may be eligible to obtain a licence through Mutual Recognition
  • Overseas Applicants – may have to have an overseas qualification assessed for equivalency prior to applying.

Registered Training Organisations (RTO)

Registered Training Organisations issue formal qualifications to people who successfully complete training. Please note that the RTO list is a guide only and subject to change. We strive to ensure that the information contained is accurate and up-to-date. Other qualifications can be:

  • apprenticeship papers
  • documentation showing you successfully completed the appropriate course for this licence class
  • documentation showing you successfully completed an equivalent course for this licence class (e.g. similar modules)
  • recognition certificate
  • a qualification of statement of attainment of the required competency issued by an approved authority for the licence class.

Recognition of prior learning

If you do not hold a formal technical qualification, you may be able to obtain it through recognition of prior learning (RPL) by a Registered Training Organisation (RTO). Visit to find RTO's who may be able to provide RPL services for this licence class.

Find an RTO

Look up the required course in the  Technical Qualifications for Licensing (PDF) and search for it on the website.