Site signage and advertising requirements

Make sure that you include your name, or if you have a company, the company’s name, and your QBCC licence number in your advertisements and on your site sign, to comply with the the Act under which they are licensed.

Please note that trading names can be used but must be accompanied by the information about your QBCC licence and your licence name. The QBCC does not licence trading names and therefore a sign with only your trading name on it will most likely be non-compliant. 

Displaying your licence details confirms to your customers that you have the right qualifications to do your work. A site sign lets the public and government agencies know who the principal contractor is and can be a good way of attracting new business.

What do we mean when we say ‘advertising’?

An advertisement includes (but is not limited to):

  • websites
  • social media pages (e.g. company Facebook pages)
  • newspaper ads
  • brochures and flyers
  • ads on the side of vehicles
  • business cards
  • radio and television advertising
  • on hold advertising (when waiting to speak to someone on the phone)
  • posters
  • Yellow Pages ads.

About ads on TV and radio

Written details must be clear and easy to see, and any spoken information about your licence details must be as clearly audible as any other spoken material contained in the advertisement.


Who is responsible for the site sign?

The principal contractor is responsible for making sure the sign complies with the law.

If you are a subcontractor working for a builder, the builder is deemed to be the person in control of the site so you don’t have to display a sign. However you must include your licence details if you want to advertise your business.

A licensed contractor (not being a subcontractor) must exhibit at a prominent position on a building site under the contractor’s control a sign conforming with the regulations showing the name under which the contractor is licensed 

A person who carries out building work under an owner-builder permit must exhibit at a prominent position on a building site under that person’s control a sign conforming with the regulations showing the number of the permit.

What do I need on my sign?

Your name as it appears on your licence (under the QBCC Act), the number.and reference to the QBCC Act. Any reference to the BSA or the QBSA should be changed to the QBCC. 

Sign requirements

It must:

  • be made of weatherproof materials
  • be bigger than half a square metre
  • have 50mm high print or larger for the QBCC licence number and licence name
  • be in a prominent position and clearly visible from the street.  

Site signage and advertising complaints

We investigate complaints about site signs or advertisements that don’t meet the QBCC Act requirements.

We regularly check and proactively audit newspapers, brochures, flyers, and websites to ensure advertisements comply with the guidelines.