Deed of Covenant and Assurance

If you are an existing licensee or applying for a licence and you don’t have sufficient net tangible assets (NTA) to meet the level of maximum revenue (MR) you want, you can use a Deed of Covenant and Assurance (PDF) ('the Deed').

The Deed allows you to meet the NTA requirements by relying on assets assured to you by a covenantor/s. 

It will not be enforced unless:

  • an individual becomes bankrupt, or
  • a liquidator is appointed to a company.

The trustee in bankruptcy or liquidator may make a demand on the covenantor/s to pay the defined amount as stated in your last MFR report.

Quick facts

  • You can't rely on a Deed if your Maximum Revenue is less than $800,001.
  • More than one convenantor can sign a single Deed or the covenantors can sign separate Deeds.
  • The covenantor/s must receive legal advice before signing a Deed.
  • The covenantor must have sufficient Net Tangible Assets at all times to meet the defined amount stated on the financial report.
  • The defined amount assured under the Deed cannot be used in the calculation of your current ratio.
  • We will hold the original of the Deed/s.
  • If there are no changes to the covenantor/s or licensee’s structure, you don’t need to submit a new Deed every year.
  • Stamp Duty is payable by the Covenantor on execution. We won't execute the Deed until such time as it is required to be called upon (i.e. the licensee has been placed into Liquidation or Bankruptcy)
  • Under certain conditions, you may revoke the Deed.

Who can rely on a Deed of Assurance?



Individual – sole trader

  • Not available

Company – trading as stand-alone company

  • Directors of the Licensee
  • A related body corporate of the licensee
Note: a director of a QBCC licensed company who also holds a QBCC contractor licence cannot assure assets to the company where those same assets are being used for their own individual licence.

Company licensee – trading as part of a group of companies

  • Directors of the Licensee
  • A related body corporate of the licensee
  • Other companies in the group

Individual or Company – trading in Partnership

  • Other partners within the Partnership
  • Directors of the licensed company
  • A related body corporate of the licensed company.

Note: you can only provide a Deed to an individual contractor if you are trading in partnership with that licensee. Provide a Statutory Declaration for Partnership
as evidence you are in partnership.

Individual or Company – acting as a trustee

  • Beneficiaries of the trust where the licensee is the trustee
  • Directors of the licensed company
  • A related body corporate of the licensed company


  • If the assets are held on trust, the Trustee cannot assure those assets
  • The beneficiaries of a trustee company trading in partnership with the licensee cannot provide a Deed of Assurance


Submitting a deed with a financial report

When you submit your MFR Report (PDF), your accountant or auditor will:

  • state the full name of each covenantor and their relationship to the applicant or licensee
  • state the defined amount that is secured by the Deed, or if more than one Deed, each Deed
  • provide a Covenantor’s Statement of Financial Position (PDF) detailing each covenantor's financial position. This must be based on accounts no earlier than the year-end date on which the applicant’s or licensee’s financial report has been based. The covenantor/s must have sufficient net tangible assets

Please ensure the deed provided is the original, signed document. Photocopies or emailed copies will not be accepted.