Apply for a building designer or hydraulic services design licence

Before you apply

See the building design and hydraulic services design scopes of work to find out the requirements for the different types of licence.

How to apply

Fill out the Building Design Licence Application Form (PDF) and the Building and Designer Experience Form (PDF) providing:

If you already hold a QBCC licence

If you are applying for an additional licence class, you don’t need to provide a copy of any supporting documentation you’ve previously given us, unless you need to update that information (e.g. proof of identity, trading name or financial information).

Re-applying for a licence

If you've previously held a licence and you want to re-apply, find out about your options - Renew, update or surrender your licence

What are the fees?

The fee is determined by your revenue and there are different financial categories:

  • Supervisor – financial information is not required
  • SC1 – $200,000 Declaration or Estimated Maximum Revenue declaration (Maximum Revenue up to $200,000)
  • SC2 – $800,000 Declaration or Estimated Maximum Revenue declaration (Maximum Revenue up to $800,000)
  • Category 1–7 - MFR Report

Check the current licence application fees.

How to lodge your application

Lodge your completed application form with the supporting documents and correct application fee:

  • by post, to GPO Box 5099, Brisbane QLD 4001 (please provide copies of original documents unless we request otherwise)
  • in person at your nearest QBCC office.

How long will it take to be processed?

We will take approximately 6–8 weeks to process your application. This includes checks to confirm you are a fit and proper person to hold a licence.

After you've applied

If your licence is approved, you'll receive a letter with your licence number and scope of work for the licence class.


  • Can I start work before my licence is approved?
    • No. Carrying out building work or providing quotes or tenders before you get your licence is unlicensed contracting.

  • What if I hold a licence in another state?