Selecting a contractor

Who's doing your plumbing?

The simplest and most effective way to ensure that plumbing work complies with regulations is to use a licensed plumber and drainer.  By engaging a licensed professional you minimise unnecessary risks to your family's health and safety.  

It's also important for your bank balance, as rectifying defective or non-compliant work can be far more expensive than the original cost.

What licence should a plumber hold?

In some instances, it may be necessary for a tradesperson to hold both an occupational and contractor licence to carry out work, regardless of the value. If you want to check the details of a licensee, go online or call 139 333.

Work that can be done by an unlicensed person

Below is a list of the unregulated work that can be performed by an unlicensed person; all other plumbing and drainage work must be done by an appropriately licensed person.

Sanitary plumbing and sanitary drainage

  • cleaning or maintaining ground level grates to traps on sanitary drains
  • replacing caps to ground level inspection openings on sanitary drains
  • maintaining an above or below ground irrigation system for the disposal of effluent from an on-site sewerage facility.

Water plumbing

  • installing or maintaining an irrigation or lawn watering system downstream from an isolating valve, tap or backflow prevention device on the supply pipe for the irrigation or lawn watering system
  • replacing a jumper valve or washer in a tap
  • changing a shower head
  • replacing, in a water closet (WC) cistern, a drop valve washer, float valve washer or suction cup rubber.