Request general information (RTI)
A Right to Information (RTI) request allows you to apply for the information of other people or companies, or a combination of your personal information and the information of other people or companies.
A Right to Information (RTI) request allows you to apply for:
- information about other people or companies
- a combination of your personal information and the information of other people or companies.
There are fees and charges associated with an RTI request.
The RTI application fee is $53.90.
The fee payment cannot be waived.
NOTE: QBCC is no longer accepting payments by cheque or cash, or credit card details via email or telephone.
You can pay the fee:
- by requesting an invoice and paying through internet banking
- in person at a QBCC service centre.
Processing fees may apply for complex requests. The processing charges for an RTI application are:
- nil—if we spend less than 5 hours
- $8.35 per 15 minutes or part of 15 minutes—if we spend more than 5 hours processing the application.
If we spend more than 5 hours processing an application, the processing charge applies to every hour spent. So, if processing takes 6 hours, the processing charge applies to the 6 hours.
We do not charge processing fees for time spent processing your personal information—if this is included in your request.
Access charges may include:
- $0.25 per page of black and white A4 photocopies of documents (does not apply to digital copies supplied by email or CD)
- the actual cost incurred to engage another entity to search for and retrieve a document
- the actual cost of transcribing a recording or preparing a written document (you may prefer to consider requesting access to a copy of the audio and arranging the transcript yourself).
How to apply
Download and complete:
You will need to provide us with:
- the completed form
- a certified copy of your proof of identity—if your application includes a request for your personal information.
If you wish to apply as a company, one of the directors must provide identification.
If someone (including a legal representative) is acting on your behalf or as your agent, and your application includes a request for your personal information, you must provide:
- evidence that they have authority to act on your behalf
- a certified copy of their proof of identity
- a certified copy of your proof of identity.
Lodge the completed form and supporting documents to us by:
- mail: Manager, Right to Information and Information Privacy
Queensland Building and Construction Commission
GPO Box 5099
BRISBANE QLD 4001; or
- email: firstname.lastname@example.org
What happens next?
Valid applications must be processed within 25 business days of us receiving them. A further 10 business days can be added if consultation with third parties are required.
We may negotiate a further extension of time with you, if
- additional processing time is required due to the size or complexity of the application
- there are problems locating documents
- there is a backlog of applications.
After we send you the result of your request, you can ask for a review of the decision if you don’t agree with the outcome.
If we have requested an extension of time to make a decision, this does not affect your right for the internal review.