Right to Information application
You can apply to access information held in our files about other individuals or companies. If you wish to access information that is a mixture of your personal information and that of other individuals or companies, you will need to make an application under RTI.
If you wish to apply as a company, one of the directors must provide identification.
Send in an application
- a completed Right to Information and Information Privacy Access Application form (PDF)
- a certified copy of your identification if you are applying for your personal information.
You can email your application to email@example.com or if you’d prefer, post it to:
Right to Information and Information Privacy
Queensland Building and Construction Commission
GPO Box 5099
Brisbane Qld 4001
If someone (including a legal representative) is acting on your behalf or as your agent, and you are requesting your personal information, they must also provide:
- evidence that they have authority to act on your behalf, and
- a certified copy of their identification, and
- a certified copy of your identification.
A Justice of the Peace, Commissioner of Declarations, or a lawyer must certify all identification.
What do I pay?
The RTI application fee is $51.70. The fee payment cannot be waived.
QBCC is no longer accepting cheques or cash for payment of fees and charges and credit card details are not accepted for payment of the application fee via email, or telephone.
Please request an invoice for payment of fees so that payment can be a made through internet banking. Alternatively you can pay at a QBCC Service Centre
The processing charges for an RTI application are:
- if we spend less than 5 hours – nil
- if we spend more than 5 hours processing the application - $8.00 per 15 minutes or part of 15 minutes.
If we spend more than 5 hours processing an application, the processing charge applies to every hour. So, if processing takes 6 hours, the processing charge applies to the 6 hours. (time spent in processing any of your personal information is not included).
The access charges for RTI applications are:
- for copies of documents provided as a black and white A4 photocopy - $0.25 per page.
Depending on the application, access charges may also include:
- the actual cost incurred to engage another entity to search for and retrieve a document;
- the actual cost of transcribing a recording or preparing a written document (you may consider requesting access to a copy of the audio and if you later require a transcript finding an agency that will transcribe the recording)
There are no access charges if documents are provided by email or on CD.
We will give you a written estimate (called a charges estimate notice) of how much your application is likely to cost.
Please email firstname.lastname@example.org if you need additional information on access charges before lodging your application.
Can we waive the fees and charges?
Processing and/or access charges may be waived if:
- we consider the likely associated costs would be more than the likely amount of the charge;
- an applicant is in financial hardship (ie holds a specified valid concession card); or
- the applicant is a non-profit organisation and the Information Commissioner has decided the organisation is in financial hardship.
How long will it take?
Valid applications must be processed within 25 business days of receipt. A further 10 business days can be added if consultation with third parties are required.
QBCC may negotiate a further extension of time with the applicant, if additional processing time is required depending on the size and complexity of the application or because of problems locating documents and backlog of applications.
This extension of time does not affect an applicant’s right of review.
I’m not happy with the decision
After we send you the result of your request, you can ask for a review of the decision if you don’t agree.
Contact the RTI Manager directly, or complete the Right to Information internal review request form (PDF).