Licence classes

For more information about when you need a licence see Apply for a licence and When is a contractor licence required.

PI* – Denotes the requirement to hold Professional Indemnity (PI) insurance. Note: for fire licences, this is only required when the licence class includes certification.


Builder Restricted

Trade Contractor

Mechanical Services 

Occupational plumbing and draining licences

Please see Apply for a Plumbing and Drainage licence

Fire protection licences

New fire protection licences (from 1 May 2021)

From 1 May 2021 the new fire protection licensing framework introduces five new licence streams – please refer to the individual licence stream pages below for specific information on licence classes:

While the fire safety professional licence class will continue, the scope of work has changed, details can be found here. 

Click here to view former fire protection licence classes, including continuing classes.

Building Design

Completed Residential Building Inspection