Recognition of Prior Learning

Anyone who needs to apply for a QBCC licence but doesn’t hold formal technical qualifications (e.g. apprenticeship papers or course completion papers) can use Recognition of Prior Learning (RPL).

If you already have a qualification, but it’s not the exact qualification you need for the licence class you want, you can apply for an equivalency assessment.

You can do this through Registered Training Organisations (RTOs). They assess your skills, knowledge and experience, and compare your qualification with the one you need for your licence class.

They’ll also advise about any other requirements you may need.

Once you meet the requirements, you'll be given an equivalent qualification which you can then use to apply for a licence.

RTOs can't RPL every kind of building work. To find the right RTO for you, decide which licence class you want to apply for, and you'll find a full list of RTOs that can assess you at the bottom of that licence class page.